Tuesday 18 October 2011

Terrific Tuesday

I'm glad you stopped by! Today's post is going to be just about encouragement because we all need it and it is one of God's commands.

"Therefore encourage one another and build each other up, just as in fact you are doing."                           -1 Thessalonians 5:11

I need this just as much as the next person. I would not say I live a hard life. I have a loving husband, children, family and friends, a roof over my head, meals on my table, and clothes on my back (I read somewhere once that if you own more than one pair of shoes you are among some of the wealthiest people in Canada!). But, like everybody else, I have bad days. The devil knows our weak spots and he will stop at nothing to pick at them and try to make us stumble and fall. And I am ashamed to admit that sometimes I let him get the best of me. It is on days like those that I need God so much more!

So, let's be encouraged by the Lord today!

"Not that I have already obtained all this, or have already been made perfect, but I press on to take hold of that for which Christ Jesus took hold of me. Brothers, I do not consider myself yet to have taken hold of it. But one thing I do: Forgetting what is behind and straining toward what is ahead. I press on toward the goal to win the prize for which God has called me heavenward in Christ Jesus."    -Philippians 3:12-14

For me, my main struggle is in regards to my home. I tend to be more on the perfectionist side of things (my husband would say I am well over that line!!) I also have very grand ideas of things I would like to do with the house and the kids that can make my days pretty unattainable sometimes.

For example, I would love to be able to cook three square meals a day, spend lots of quality time with the kids that includes some kind of learning, have ample devotional time, have time to keep the house in good order, have time for fun for myself (like scrapbooking or knitting or just whatever :) ), have time to spend relaxing with hubby, and try to run a little cake-making business!

All in one day.

(Ok, so I've got the meals down, I spend time with the kids but not always in an educational sense, I am learning to fellowship with God throughout my day and trying to devote small blocks of time at different times so that I am constantly fed - this is a work in progress, the house is standing - I think I'll leave it at that for now!, if I take time for myself, everything else suffers and I end up paying for it later, same goes for relaxing with hubs, and thankfully I am not crazy busy with cakes yet so I don't really need to worry about it!)

What encourages me about the above verse is that we don't have to be perfect at anything. If I don't get the floor swept or the laundry done one day, no big deal. If I don't get a big chunk of time to spend with the Lord, it's not something to get worked up over.

What is important is my faith, my attitude, and where my priorities lie. It is whether or not I will just keep on trying, keep on pressing in to God until He works it out in me. "He who began a good work in you will carry it on to completion until the day of Christ Jesus." Philippians 1:6 If my heart is desiring to serve the Lord in everything I do and every action I take, then He will work it out in me.

I really enjoyed the next couple of verses in the Message version:

"So let's keep focused on that goal, those of us who want everything God has for us. If any of you have something else in mind, something less than total commitment, God will clear your blurred vision - you'll see it yet! Now that we're on the right track, let's stay on it." v. 15-16


This part really encouraged me and challenged me. If I have anything else in mind other that total commitment to serving the Lord and carrying out His Will for my life, if I remain in Him then He will show me. If I only ask for His help, He will show me how to work out my days so that I do have time for the important things. And He will also renew my energy each time I go to Him by reminding me where my focus should be. 


I love the Lord and I am so thankful for what He is doing in my heart in this season of my life. Treasure His Word and learn how you can apply it to your life. That is what amazes me most about it. There is something in the bible that is just for you, each day of your life, no matter what you are going through. He always has us on His mind and He always has.


Be blessed today!


Oh yes...I almost forgot! Here are our supper pics. Today was Beefy Mac & Cheese but I think the title is pretty misleading. I have renamed it Pizza Casserole (creative, I know). It also kind of tasted like a chili but made with macaroni noodles. (I also baked some yummy bread today but didn't take a picture. You can rest assured that it looked and tasted delicious!!)


No comments:

Post a Comment